[PC-BSD Testing] Comments re Testing Digest, Vol 20, Issue 31 (12 Sep 2008)

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 16:39:01 PDT 2008

Re:  Messages of Fri, 12 Sep 2008

=====================================
1.  Firefox Printing Problem:
=====================================

Kris Moore wrote:

>Found and fixed this problem for 7-final.

>Here's what you do to fix it:
>
>(As root)
># mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.old
># ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr
>
>Then make sure in the CUPS interface you have the printer set to
>default, and you should be able to print from FireFox / Opera just fine
>now :)

Thanks Kris for fixing this problem.  It was NOT unique to PCBSD 7.0.
I had attempted to research this and found that Linux distros had
printing problems with FF3. I would like to emphasize that this was a
Firefox 3 problem and NOT a PCBSD problem.  In PCBSD 1.5.1, Firefox
2.xx worked well with CUPS, but the Firefox 3.x upgrade presented the
same problem under CUPS.  I had reported the FF3 printing issue in the
Forum under these two threads:

http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12052
http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11904

However, no one had come up with an elegant solution until you attacked it.

=====================================
2.  KDE/Konquer Bug
=====================================

Kris, per your suggestion I will report this to the KDE Bug repository.

=====================================
3.  File Manager Super User
=====================================

Thanks for putting in super user access to the File Manager.

=====================================
4.   Find Function Needs Time
=====================================

Thanks for commenting on the Find function.  I'm glad its working, and
a one-time indexing seems a very reasonable explanation.

5. Multimedia Plays Video Files with Yellow Cast

Yes, I think this was something temporary too and therefore a
non-issue.  I've not had the problem since.  It is a miracle that
computers work at all, especially given the complexity of hardware and
the unforeseen demands that arise on an operating system and software
when people run multiple processes and simultaneous operations.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio