[PC-BSD Testing] Printing from Firefox/Opera/Konq

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Fri Sep 12 13:48:48 PDT 2008

Sorry I couldn't do much testing on beta2, but I am in the process of
painting the outside of my house so time is limited. Anyway, on the
subject of printing:

Either I am doing something wrong or the fix does not work. After
applying the fix trying to print will now crash Firefox. Before it
just did not print.

Having done a bit more checking the fault seems to be that I don't
have a LPR, but rather a network laser.  Results so far are:

Firefox - crash - did not crash before the fix.
Konq - sees printer and sends job but never makes it to the printer
Opera - same as Konq
Thunderbird - Prints normally
KWrite - sees printer and sends job but never makes it to the printer
Abiword - sees printer and sends job but never makes it to the printer
- I tried both the pbi and from ports with the same results

I will do some more checking, but so far Thunderbird is the only
application I have printing properly.

On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Kris Moore wrote:

> James T. Nixon III wrote:
>> I'm able to print a test page from CUPS but still unable to print
>> from any
>> browser. Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>> --james
>>

> Found and fixed this problem for 7-final.
>
> Here's what you do to fix it:
>
> (As root)
> # mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.old
> # ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr
>
> Then make sure in the CUPS interface you have the printer set to
> default, and you should be able to print from FireFox / Opera just
> fine
> now :)
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore