[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 World Of Warcraft

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 09:33:22 PDT 2008

Hello testing list,

We have done some testing With PC_BSD 7 beta 2 (Thank you to Bill
Leeper for uploading it)

We are happy to report that World of Warcraft works flawlessly in
PCBSD 7 Beta 2, with near Windows XP performance

All KDE4 specific issues appear to have vanished, through all the
alpha's and even Beta 1, there were several nagging issues that appear
to be fixed.

Here is a List of what we tried,

The Installer works straight from the discs no trouble here at all

There are no weird adverse performance issues specific to PC-BSD
anymore(some showed up with KDE4 esp in shatarath city)
other than the normal (Slow performance if you run in Direcrt 3D mode,
this happens on all Linux distros as well that we have tried), the
Frame rates in OpenGL
are almost identical to Windows XP (Using OpenGL)

The in game voice chat works just fine, you can also use a separate
Ventrilo 3.x client to talk but you have the PTT key problem.
so that is why the in game chat is great.

Antialiasing works just fine if you use nvidia-settings to override
application settings

The problem where running Wow in a separate x session and switching
between x sessions in the middle of game play is fixed. Xorg no longer
crashes in PC-BSD.
(This Problem Appeared With KDE4)

The Sound on PC-BSD 7 no longer is jittery on game start up, it works
just Like FreeBSD 7 now. (This problem appeared with KDE4)

The mouse works perfect just as in FreeBSD 7, no jerky motion to speak
of. (This Problem Appeared with KDE4)

The Keyboard no longer inserts 'special ASCII charters that are not on
the keyboard' in a chat window when you type. it Works flawlessly
exactly the same as FreeBSD 7 now.
(this problem appeared with KDE4 as well both on USB and PS2 keyboards)

WoW.exe no longer crashes the wine server on exit(this appeared with
KDE4 as well)

The Belkin n52te GamePad now works (you have to program the keys in
windows xp first)

All in all, We will be switching all of our Gaming computers, to
PC-BSD 7 as our Primary WOW os.

Thank you to the PC-BSD development team for working hard to fix these
issues with KDE4

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks