[PC-BSD Testing] wireless for 1.5.1

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Sep 12 08:30:54 PDT 2008

Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> I know that 7 is close to come out, but today I was installing a wireless card on 1.5.1 fresh installation.
>
> the SSID is "QSC-wireless", and using the GUI I was not able to see it, but running ifconfing I was able to see it w/o issues
>
> I wrote manually the SSID into the tool.  now, our wireless has WEP protection, the password is something like "abcd1".  On windows/Max/iPhone I just enter the password, on PC-BSD I had to enter the key (something like 7778899669) instead then the password to make it work.
>
> I am not sure if this is fixed on PC--BSD 7, if you are not sure, I will try to get a machine to test it.  if it is fixed on PC-BSD 7, is there any hopes to see an update for 1.5.1 for it  or once that 7 is out 1.5.1 will be dropped?
>
> Fabry

I've done a lot of fixing for SSID scanning in 7, including support for
SSID's with a space in the name, and you can enter a plaintext WEP key
as well. I'm not sure about back-porting those enhancements to 1.5.1
though, they are QT4 so it may be more work than I want to do to fix it.
If there is a lot of demand for it though, I may go ahead and do so.

http://www.pcbsd.com