[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD Beta 2 Much Improved - A few suggestions.

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:17:12 PDT 2008

This is a report on PCBSD Beta 2.

1.  Minor Bug Crashes Konqueror:

While using Konqueror and after (1) selecting the "Applications"
choice from the introductory screen, and (2) selecting the choice to
view "details," Konqueror crashes and causes a  Signal 6 (SIGABRT)
when clicking on the "+" sign to expand the list.  This is action is
repeatable 100% of the time.

Instead of clicking the "+" sign, it is possible to click an
application category and cause the list to expand one level.  You can
click to display the second level, but no listing appears.  For
example, the category "Education" expands to  subcategories of
Language, Math, Misc. and Science.  Misc. should expand to Blinkin,
EPE, Geography, and TTT, but does not.

In contrast to Konqueror's behavior while viewing Applications, its
behavior when viewing  directory listings is without problems.

2.  Suggestion -- add a File Manager Super User option to the Menu

I miss having a "super user" file manager choice on the menu like you
provided in PCBSD 1.x.  Nor am I able to  invoke #kdesu konqueror or
#kdesu dolphin to get there.  Here is the sample report from a failed
attempt:

pcbsd# konqueror
Xlib:  connection ot ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib:  No protocol specified
kdesu:  cannot connect to X server  :0.0
pcbsd#

While one can still use the command line to cp, rm, rmdir, etc.,
having the graphic interface makes some things much easier with long,
awkward, or bizarre file names, or file names with spaces in them,
makes it easier to edit with the convenience of a graphic text editor,
and makes it easier to otherwise manipulate files and directories as
root.  Thus I'm making the suggestion to add the super user file
viewer function back on the menu.

3.  Find Function Broken & Suggestion to Make It a Stand-alone Entry
on the Menu.

The "find" function built into Dolphin and Konqueror does not work.  I
miss the "find" function that used to be on the menu in PCBSD 1.x.

4.  Multimedia Plays Video Files with Yellow Cast.

After installation, the using multimedia video on my ACER portable [P4
@1.5Ghz, built-in Intel Centrino sound, video, and wifi chips] gave
mpg, avi, and wmv files a distinctive and disturbing yellowish cast
that is not evident when using other applications.  It had never been
present when using XP, or when using PCBSD releases prior to PCBSD
Beta.  The video chip is an Intel 855 and I am using the "Intel"
driver (not 3D enabled).  The screen is the matte LCD with the best
resolution of 1024 x 780.  Rebooting into PCBSD did not solve this
problem, but rebooting into XP where the videos had the "correct"
colors and then rebooting back to PCBSD fixed the problem.  That makes
no sense.

Note to self -- Employer needs to replace my computer with a nice
multi-core P4, 4 Gb RAM, 17" bright screen display, large hard disk,
etc.

5.  Beta Makes Great Impression.

Otherwise things are working impressively great.  The speed
improvement is fabulous as noted by others, Dolphin has not crashed on
me, and my ACER portable is functioning well other than the multimedia
viewing mentioned above.

6.  Congratulations and Thanks for the Hard Work.

Once again Kris and the PCBSD Development Team has done a fabulous job
putting the desktop operating system together. I am amazed at how
responsive Kris and the team are to fixing bugs quickly, incorporating
suggestions, and improving the product.  It takes so much time that
all of them must be working 12+ hours a day.  We are all deeply
grateful for your labors.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio