[PC-BSD Testing] More on: Beta 1 balky using 8GB Thumb, contention issue?

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Mon Sep 8 21:38:18 PDT 2008

Bill Leeper пишет:
> I can confirm your observations on the thumb drive installations. But
> I would lay it more to the poor read/write speed of a standard flash
> drive. I intend to pick up a high speed flash drive in a month or two
> and try it with that. I would suspect that with a 16 GB high speed
> flash drive it should do much better.

I have external flash drive WD Passport 80Gb, the speed and performance
pretty good; Average user couldn't detect if OS running from normal hard
drive, or from external USB :)
So, I suggest that or BIOS has enabled USB-1.1 (which is safe, bot
sloooooow), or your thumb itself slow one.
I'm planning to buy very fast thumb in late september-october (Like
Corsair Voyager GT), and make some experiments with PcBSD.