[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 Test

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Sep 8 12:35:52 PDT 2008

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>>> Nice! Just a little question: Are Qt and Kde configured with -no-glib
>>> option. There is a known bug with glib support that uses up many
>>> addtitional cpu cycles. You can always test with "export QT_NO_GLIB=1"
>>> berfore KDE is started.
>> Right now, they are not configured with -no-glib, I will test this out a
>> bit more though to see what kind of improvement I can get here.
>
> I'm not sure that it will feel snappier, but for laptop use the decrease in
> cpu is important for battery life. And no window manager should need ~80% cpu
> to do nothing ;)

Completely agree there :) I've added this fix now, it'll be in the
7-Final when it goes out the door.

>>> I also found that kwin's cpu usage decreased significantly if I disable
>>> vsync under 'desktop effects -> general -> advanced'
>> Yea, that one is hit-n-miss, its faster on my desktop nvidia system with
>> vsync disabled also, but my intel laptop seems smoother with it on.
>>
> Ok, well I tested on a nvidia system, so that explains it.

>>> Where did you find this? I can't find it on nvidias site. Latest i can
>>> find is 177.67.
>> Right here:
>>
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118603
>
> Strange that they don't put it up under 'beta drivers'. I did test it on
> linux, but i found that it was worse than 177.67. The desktop had a tendency
> to freez up for 2-3 seconds rather often with 177.70. But maybe the FBSD
> version is better.
>
> /Andreas

I haven't really seen any hangups with the driver here, seems pretty
solid, but of course with so many different cards you never know. Once
the 177 release is out, I'll be sure to include it, or issue and online
update if its past the release for 7.

http://www.pcbsd.com