[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 Test

Andreas Nilsson adde_85 at telia.com
Mon Sep 8 11:51:36 PDT 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 17:30:02 you wrote:
> Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> >> KDE 4.1.1 (Much faster!)
> >
> > Nice! Just a little question: Are Qt and Kde configured with -no-glib
> > option. There is a known bug with glib support that uses up many
> > addtitional cpu cycles. You can always test with "export QT_NO_GLIB=1"
> > berfore KDE is started.
>
> Right now, they are not configured with -no-glib, I will test this out a
> bit more though to see what kind of improvement I can get here.

I'm not sure that it will feel snappier, but for laptop use the decrease in
cpu is important for battery life. And no window manager should need ~80% cpu
to do nothing ;)

> > I also found that kwin's cpu usage decreased significantly if I disable
> > vsync under 'desktop effects -> general -> advanced'
>
> Yea, that one is hit-n-miss, its faster on my desktop nvidia system with
> vsync disabled also, but my intel laptop seems smoother with it on.

Ok, well I tested on a nvidia system, so that explains it.

> >> New GTK 2 theme, helps FF and Thunderbird look like KDE now
> >> NVIDIA driver 177.70 beta (improved performance for KDE4)
> >
> > Where did you find this? I can't find it on nvidias site. Latest i can
> > find is 177.67.
>
> Right here:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118603

Strange that they don't put it up under 'beta drivers'. I did test it on
linux, but i found that it was worse than 177.67. The desktop had a tendency
to freez up for 2-3 seconds rather often with 177.70. But maybe the FBSD
version is better.

/Andreas