[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 1 balky using 8GB Thumb, contention issue?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Sep 8 11:33:15 PDT 2008

Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> would be worth to include a full locate DB that naturally doesn't include the user folder ?
>
> it would make it faster to find programs.. or maybe fill up the locate DB at the first RUN, or right after the installation, as a last step before the reboot...
>
> Fabry

I'm doing some testing with this here, and I can't seem to confirm that
find files & folders is using the locate.updatedb or anything at first
run. It does take a long time to start initially, but after that it is
faster. But when I run locate.updatedb, it takes *much* longer, and does
seem to be hitting my HD a lot, whereas the find files & folders doesn't
seem to be doing a lot of disk reads. Maybe it is using some sort of
other indexing method for the users folder? Nepomunk maybe?

http://www.pcbsd.com