[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 Test

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Sep 8 08:30:02 PDT 2008

Andreas Nilsson wrote:

>> KDE 4.1.1 (Much faster!)
>
> Nice! Just a little question: Are Qt and Kde configured with -no-glib option.
> There is a known bug with glib support that uses up many addtitional cpu
> cycles. You can always test with "export QT_NO_GLIB=1" berfore KDE is started.

Right now, they are not configured with -no-glib, I will test this out a
bit more though to see what kind of improvement I can get here.

> I also found that kwin's cpu usage decreased significantly if I disable vsync
> under 'desktop effects -> general -> advanced'

Yea, that one is hit-n-miss, its faster on my desktop nvidia system with
vsync disabled also, but my intel laptop seems smoother with it on.

>> New GTK 2 theme, helps FF and Thunderbird look like KDE now
>> NVIDIA driver 177.70 beta (improved performance for KDE4)
>
> Where did you find this? I can't find it on nvidias site. Latest i can find is
> 177.67.

Right here:

http://www.pcbsd.com