[PC-BSD Testing] Some nice PC-BSD addons

Andreas Nilsson adde_85 at telia.com
Sun Sep 7 00:10:43 PDT 2008

On Saturday 30 August 2008 08:20:35 Simeon Nifos wrote:
> Dear Kris,
> your work and design are amazing. I read your interview, and I was
> really surprised by the fact that you are only 27 years old with such
> great skills already. However, please allow the community to make
> suggestions on what they would love to see in PC-BSD and then you can
> judge what sounds nice or not. You do all of that for the users don't
> you?
>
> So please allow me to make some  suggestions I think they are
> necessary and would make many people happy:
>
> 1) Provide some other Desktop apart from KDE. Most people who are
> Linux, FreeBSD users, move to FreeBSD because they want something
> lighter and faster. KDE has a lot of crap nobody really needs since
> they occupy a lot of resources. So, some light-weight WM would be
> mandatory as an alternative. You can think about possible choices and
> at the same time tweak them so they can provide all the things needed:
> WiFi configuration tool (In Linux there is the WiCD) battery monitor,
> sound mixer, e.t.c.

FreeBSD has a nice selection. Choose whatever you like.

> 2) Enlightenment E17 is something new and promising. Although it is in
> Alpha stage yet it may be a nice add on at least in the PBIs.

E17 isn't exactly new. I tried it back in 2004, and not much has happened i'm
afraid. I like some ideas but in the end it's just to much work. I guess the
project could really benefit from some additional developers and some overhaul
of long term strategies.

> 3) Provide some feature in the Installation (Options, check-box) which
> applies all known FreeBSD hacks for achieving maximum performance.
> There are a lot FreeBSD hacks that could be done and features that
> could be enabled in sysctl e.t.c. You should know.

Performance is kinda individual, what speed things up for one may slow things
down for another. The ones safe for all could perhaps be activated ( if they
exist)

> 4) Allow users to request or to vote (sticky forum e.t.c.) about PBIs
> they would like to be installed by default, be available on the CDs or
> at least on the PBI servers. Moreover you could have something which
> monitors the software packages (PBI) people usually install on the
> server side so that you know which are more popular and decide what
> the install images should consist of.
>
> Maybe not PC-BSD related but FreeBSD generally
> =====================================
> 5) It is very important to do something about the boot loader. I have
> Linux always installed by default which I trust more and I can work
> fine with it. Every time I will install some FreeBSD system, it will
> screw up my bootloader. I have to start again with a Linux CD and fix
> the bootloader because usually the FreeBSD stupid bootloader cannot
> start Linux but only FreeBSD. Wouldn't it be nice to allow FreeBSD to
> install what is needed for it to be booted by grub without erasing
> grub? That would be a very nice option. Apart from that FreeBSD should
> be able to ask the user where is his Linux system in which partition
> and then mount the /boot partition or the Linux partition, cd to
> /boot/grub/ and modify /boot/grub/menu.lst. If the user is only a
> FreeBSD person the fine. But OpenSolaris can be booted by GRUB and I
> do not see why FreeBSD should not be able to do so.

At least in FreeBSD you can choose not to install a boot loader and then
chainload the /boot/loader from the FreeBSD slice.

> 6) I do not know if it is possible or if ever is gonna be, but it
> should be nice to allow to install the FreeBSD on a non-primary
> partition. But this is not so important.

Some things arent meant to be ;) But do you really use all 4 primary
partitions?

/Andreas