[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 Test

Andreas Nilsson adde_85 at telia.com
Sun Sep 7 00:20:48 PDT 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008 02:04:54 Kris Moore wrote:
> Everybody,
>
> If you would like to try out a more recent copy of the beta,
> unofficially "beta2", you can grab it from here now:
>
> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/beta-isos/i386/
>
> Its just the DVD right now, don't want to spend a lot of bandwidth
> uploading an entire set at the moment. Here's some of the changes though:
>
> KDE 4.1.1 (Much faster!)

Nice! Just a little question: Are Qt and Kde configured with -no-glib option.
There is a known bug with glib support that uses up many addtitional cpu
cycles. You can always test with "export QT_NO_GLIB=1" berfore KDE is started.

I also found that kwin's cpu usage decreased significantly if I disable vsync
under 'desktop effects -> general -> advanced'

> New GTK 2 theme, helps FF and Thunderbird look like KDE now
> NVIDIA driver 177.70 beta (improved performance for KDE4)

Where did you find this? I can't find it on nvidias site. Latest i can find is
177.67.

> Updated translations as of friday morning.
> Many bug fixes, such as wifi SSID with space, password with special
> characters, etc.
> FreeBSD 7.1-Prerelease
>
> If anybody runs across anymore serious bugs, please let me know! We are
> getting pretty close to release now, and I'll be spending this next week
> quashing any final bugs reported before prepping for final.
>
> Thanks!
/Andreas