[PC-BSD Testing] Beta 2 Test

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Sat Sep 6 17:16:58 PDT 2008

flat.rose wrote:
> That's great, thanks alot Kris!
> Got a simple question - what's the best way to upgrade my system from beta1
> to beta2 without losing any personal and root data? Is it possible without
> burning a dvd?

At this point I don't really have an upgrade path for beta and alpha
releases, since so much is still in flux. When we start releasing newer
versions than 7 though, you will be able to upgrade those, via online
update. However, if you want to save your data, here's what I would do:

(As root)

# cd /
# tar cvjf backup.tbz /root /usr/home
(save backup.tbz somewhere remote)

Then, after installing, just restore in the same way:

(pull back backup.tbz from remote)
# cd /
# tar xvpjf backup.tbz

http://www.pcbsd.com