[PC-BSD Testing] Long standing redundancy in ports

DragonFlier dracheflieger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 05:26:14 PDT 2008

Network connection doesn't make any difference...right now the image of
already extracted ports is written to disk on an install but not any INDEXes
(those found in /usr/ports/)

-rw-r--r--     1 root  wheel  10441465 Sep  2 21:02 INDEX
-rw-r--r--     1 root  wheel  17370624 Sep  2 21:02 INDEX-5
-rw-r--r--     1 root  wheel  18467854 Sep  2 21:02 INDEX-6
-rw-r--r--     1 root  wheel  18468202 Sep  2 21:02 INDEX-7

Even though the ports tree exists after an install if you use the PCBSD
ports manager or go from the command line you still have to do a 'portsnap
fetch extract' (pfe) before you can do any further 'portsnap fetch updates'
(pfu). The pfe downloads an entire snapshot of the ports (currently 52+ MBs)
and extracts this snapshot over the already existing ports tree. The pfu
merely gets what's not current and updates the port tree. If it were
possible to include the snapshot during the install (on CD) and then extract
it creating your INDEXes as part of the install, any further updates to the
port tree would only include those items that were out of date and not the
entire 52+ MBs again.