[PC-BSD Testing] First Impressions of PC-BSD-7

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 2 12:15:14 PDT 2008

Oliver Rath wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> this is my first installation of PC-BSD. I have some experience in
> FreeBSD some years ago, so it wasn't to difficult. Normally I work with
> gentoo linux.
>
> Some failures I found:
>
> - password for first user has to be at least 8 characters, elso the
> dialog hangs. But this isn't remarked anywhere

Is this during the install? I can add a user here with a single
character password, and it works fine.

> - 3D-accelleration doesnt work (ati-3D enabled), DRI is disabled, dont
> know why

The 3d accell for ATI is pretty lousy on FreeBSD, I have yet to get it
working on a single card here, I think you'll find that this is common
for most.

> - WPA encryption doesnt work without loading additional modules (intel
> 345 wpi driver)

Which module did you need to load specifically? I'll make sure it gets
added here.

> - taking bash as default shell hasnt been adopted from the dialog

? I've just installed with bash as the default here, and when I bring up
konsole, it works fine. It doesn't change it to bash for root though,
just for your username. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

http://www.pcbsd.com