[PC-BSD Testing] No Keyboard Support On Laptop

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 2 11:21:15 PDT 2008

Jesse Griffin wrote:
> I have an older Systemax laptop which has run PC-BSD 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, FreeBSD
> 6, and FreeBSD 7.  I just tried to install Beta1 and I get this:
>
> "psm: keyboard controller failed."
>
> A bunch of garbage after that but the installer screen eventually comes up
> but I don't have a mouse or keyboard.
> Any ideas?
>
> Also, I have a really old Dell Inspiron 5000 and it will boot up to the X
> cursor but then it beeps (either once or twice) and then automatically
> restarts.
>
> I'm sure the older hardware is part of the problem, however, I would have
> thought that my Systemax laptop would run the Beta1 because I've got an
> Alpha to work and it runs FreeBSD 7 vanilla without any trouble.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

Jesse,

This is appearing during the kernel messages right?

PC-BSD 7 is using FreeBSD 7-Stable right now, maybe something is broken
in there now? Can you try taking FreeBSD 7 and updating to 7-Stable to
confirm if this problem starts occuring? If so, we need to let the
FreeBSD guys know that they've caused a regression :)

http://www.pcbsd.com