[PC-BSD Testing] Possible PCBSD7 bug

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 2 10:20:18 PDT 2008

Ken Ebling wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Here's an issue I noticed:
>
> When the system reboots after installing, I get the login prompt (I un-
> checked the auto login feature), and the username/password I created
> during setup don't work.
>
> I did Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the console, and typed "root" at the login
> prompt, and it dumped me right into a shell, without asking for the
> root password I created during setup.
>
> "finger user" shows that my user account wasn't created.  I set root's
> password manually, and used adduser to add my personal account, and
> then Alt-F9 back to the login screen and it lets me login now.
>
> Did the installer skip root password setting and user creation because
> I un-checked that box?
>
> I've seen this happen with the Alpha and Beta1 releases, but I never
> said anything about the alpha because I knew the beta was about to
> release.. =)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Well, I've tested this here, and I can't seem to make it fail on my end.
Are you able to easily duplicate it? Maybe there is some sort of special
character being put into your password / username which is causing them
to fail?

If you like, privately send me the details about what user / pass you
are using and I'll try to duplicate the error here and come up with a fix :)

http://www.pcbsd.com