[PC-BSD Testing] Better nVidia Driver for PCBSD 7 AMD64?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Oct 27 06:25:50 PST 2008

DragonFlier wrote:
> nVidia has yet to release a 64 bit driver for FreeBSD. Claims FreeBSD needs
> kernel rework before it can be done if I recall correctly.
>
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Yvan Martin <navyn5 at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> I just installed the version 7.0.1 of PCBSD 7 for AMD64. It seems to
>> work fairly well so far. I was surprised of not finding an nVidia
>> numbered driver (177.80) that I could choose from when installing. I
>> used the generic "nv" driver which never worked that well before and not
>> surprisingly it does not really work properly (as with previous versions
>> the objects in the desktop  folder  pop-up when  I run my pointer  over
>> them, but disappear as soon as the screen is refreshed. Is there a PBI
>> file I could download with a better driver for my nVidia GT7600?
>>
>> Thanks.

Right now the "nv" driver is really crappy on amd64 and probably i386 as
well. You'll probably want to use the "vesa" driver on amd64 for the
time-being. As for a nvidia driver, there are some things lacking in the
amd64 kernel which prevents nvidia from releasing a driver right now.
Take a look at these links for more info:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41545&page=24

http://www.pcbsd.com