[PC-BSD Testing] ASUS M2N-SLI nForce 560 sound vs 7.0.1 ia64?

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Sun Oct 26 22:52:48 PST 2008

I've not had much time to experiment with 64-bit PCBSD 7.0.1 of
late so I was hoping to get some better data before crying to
the list. FWIW: I'm not a strong PC person either - I've been
living a coddled Macintosh life for a long time. A mojor motive
for my fiddling PCBSD is to show it off to a bunch of Mac
bigots.

Unfortunately, I can't get sound out of the motherboard with
PCBSD, though most everything else I've fooled with seems to
work reasonably well so far. Any quick fixes for this? Any
advice on how to troubleshoot it?

FWIW: Windows XP has no trouble with the sound (big surprise,
given a specific set of drivers for XP from ASUS). Something of
a surprise, my experimenting with setting the machine up as
Hackintosh manages to produce sound as well. PCBSD has it over
hacked Mac OS X in that the mother board LAN works just fine
(not tested at "industrial strength") in PCBSD but even though
there's a choice of drivers that are supposed to work with
nForce motherboard ethernet in Hack OS X's, none of them seem
to work. Now ... if we could just get the two camps to work
together, they'd both get better. ;-)
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company