[PC-BSD Testing] Panic from ZFS

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:49:27 PDT 2008

Well Kris,

ZFS is not production ready in FreeBSD. That is why it is marketed as
"experimental".
However, Its unlikely that you will get data loss if you have >=1GB of
RAM on 64bit hardware. I'm not completely clear about 32bit hardware
with only 1GB but its prob better safe then sorry.

Regards,
Edward.

2008/10/25 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>:
> Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Exactly Rod.
>>
>> Although I would not regards the ZFS port as totally unstable/unusable
>> but there are min requirements that should be put in place to protect
>> people/users from data loss.
>> For a production version, not putting these restricts in place if it
>> is a known is some what ignorant.
>>
>> You and I may find it fun, but when someone loses data after a few
>> months of "oh but it was running fine" is no so fun for them. Are we
>> not aiming to be more stable then Linux or are we trying to play the
>> kernel panic game?
>>
>> Bill; Try filling that zpool up some more then run a scrub, the
>> following _may_ happen, your whole zpool will be corrupted with a nice
>> kernel panic else just a kernel panic with a unbootable system.
>> ZFS in FreeBSD is no where near as stable as it is in OpenSolaris.
>>
>> Just put the restrictions into place. I am giving you informed advice
>> here (I'm from the OpenSolaris community as well btw).
>>
>> This will be the last warning.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Edward.
>>

> Well, I can go ahead and put a lockout on ZFS if memory is less than
> <1GB in the next ISO release. Will 1GB be guaranteed to be stable
> though? I would hate to lock it down at <1GB, and find out that really
> it needs 2GB, or even 4GB to be fully stable and production ready. We
> just need to be sure that whatever we specify as the minimum *will* work
> under all loads.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

All Documents adhered to the ISO/IEC 26300  standard file format for
electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts,
presentations and word processing documents from this email address.
The author does not take responsibility of the recipients inability to
read international standards and who use proprietary products such as
MS Office.
See: http://www.openoffice.org/
Edward O'Callaghan.
--