[PC-BSD Testing] Panic from ZFS

Rod Clark sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Oct 24 08:53:49 PDT 2008

Edward O'Callaghan wrote:
> My point was that you could suffer complete data corruption !
> I know about the message as I asked for it to be put there, remember ;)
>
> I really do think it should be disabled on systems where it should not
> be running on until you are using FreeBSD 8 with the update to version
> 11. That is, that I can now confirm that it does indeed resolve the
> memory issue.

Kris,

In light of this and other such issues, have you given any
thought to separating out the "play" aspects, as you put it, of
v7 now that it's been released? In other words, create a sandbox
v7 Unstable tree, full of all the experimental stuff that
everyone hopes will mature Real Soon Now. And a PC-BSD 7 Stable
tree that would include nothing but the most solid and
trustworthy things.

Yes, it's more work. But ideally nothing should ever be moved
into the Stable tree until it's really safe for people's
grandmothers and accountants to trust in every respect, to
always provide the most reliable working environment.

You and many other developers represent the braver, more techie
"Hey, it's fun, this is a great sandbox!" faction. That's fine,
and it's essential, and as soon as I have a spare PC to give to
it, I'd like to run the newest version too. But as far as I can
see, v7 remains a dual purpose evil-twin Unstable/Stable
version, and the end user has to sort out both parts of it for
himself.

Since I'm down a fried PC at the moment, I'm temporarily part of
the faction who actually really needs to depend on your OS. And
as an old fogey I also don't have as much detailed understanding
as some others here do, in order to separate out every last
playtime sandox element of it for myself as I go.

This might not be possible or desirable right now because of a
lack of people and time to do it, but I hope it becomes a
subject of discussion in the fairly near future.

Rod Clark