[PC-BSD Testing] Panic from ZFS

Edward O'Callaghan victoredwardocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:07:38 PDT 2008

Actually Kris,

My point was that you could suffer complete data corruption !
I know about the message as I asked for it to be put there, remember ;)

I really do think it should be disabled on systems where it should not
be running on until you are using FreeBSD 8 with the update to version
11. That is, that I can now confirm that it does indeed resolve the
memory issue.

Regards,
Edward.

2008/10/25 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>:
> Arthur wrote:
>> At 02:49 AM 10/24/2008, you wrote:

>>> your workload.

>>> I've always believed that there is a HEADS UP somewhere that said
>>> something about dedicating at least 1GB for ZFS on FreeBSD.
>>
>> Yes, I remember this as well.
>>
>> Arthur
>

> Correct! If you try to install with ZFS, this message appears first, and
> you have to click "OK" to continue:
>
> "Warning: ZFS usage is primarily for high-end systems with a 64 bit
> processor and 4+ GB of memory. It may run on lesser hardware, but is not
> recommended."
>
> That pretty much covers all the bases here. I don't want to outright
> disable ZFS, since some users have enjoyed testing / playing with it on
> systems with 512MB of ram in qemu / vmware or on a test desktop. Its
> more of a learning experience for them to just play with zfs and see how
> it works. (I've done that myself a bit, on some of my older systems)
> However, again, the message does let users know that it should have 4GB
> of memory, and use the amd64 release if possible.
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

All Documents adhered to the ISO/IEC 26300  standard file format for
electronic office documents, such as spreadsheets, charts,
presentations and word processing documents from this email address.
The author does not take responsibility of the recipients inability to
read international standards and who use proprietary products such as
MS Office.
See: http://www.openoffice.org/
Edward O'Callaghan.
--