[PC-BSD Testing] Peculiar shutdown of 7.0.1 ia64

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Thu Oct 23 02:00:09 PDT 2008

Thanks to my ineptitude with the meaning of various gibberish
presented by the BIOS in my computer, I've now installed PCBSD
7.0.1 from DVD twice. The second installation was unnecessary;
purely a brain-phert.

However, it brought a peculiarity to my attention. It might
have nothing to do with just having installed it, but my memory
recalls being surprised by this behavior the first time I
installed it.

Since I'm just messing around with this for the time being, I
shut the computer down for the night. After selecting this from
the menu on the bottom left (whatever it's properly named), my
screen goes dark grey. Nothing much seems to be going on but
burning juice and spinning fans. It seems willing to do this
until the cows come home; longer, even. After considerable time
- say enough to watch a sitcom - I'll try to get its attention.
Nothing much seems to work ... except CNTL-ALT-DEL.

Hitting that key combo changes the display to something that
has a choice to shutdown on it. The mouse works again, so it
can be chosen. Doing so, brings up yet another window from
which one can choose to shutdown. Clicking that button finally
will shut the computer down.

All this seems like a pretty convoluted, user unfriendly approach to me.

Is this normal?
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company