[PC-BSD Testing] 7.01 Stuff

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Oct 22 13:34:22 PDT 2008

Arthur Koziol wrote:
>> Ok, I've figured out and fixed this issue. Turns out it wasn't a bug in
>> the SystemUpdater tool, rather in the "pbidelete" tool, which the System
>> Updater relied on to remove the old PBI before upgrading. The problem
>> was that the pbidelete tool wasn't always waiting for
>> /Programs/OpenOffice* to be removed before exiting. The System Updater
>> would then try to install the new PBI, and it would silently fail
>> because /Programs/OpenOffice* or /Programs/Opera, or whichever PBI still
>> appeared to be installed.
>>
>> Meanwhile, eventually the remove process would finish, and you would be
>> left with no PBI installed at all :)
>>
>> I've just issued an online update for 7.0.1 which corrects this issue,
>> so please feel free to grab it, and let me know if you run into problems
>> like this again down the road. Also, I've issued a patch which fixes the
>> .cshrc prompt with "%" for users properly in 7.0.1.
>>
>> Also, another user brought up the issue of the SystemUpdater saying that
>> there was no space to install patches, because the user didn't have room
>> in the /PCBSD/tmp dir or "/" partition. I'm going to be writing an
>> enhancement to the updater, so you can specify your own tmpdir, in case
>> you've partitioned it with little room on "/".
>
> Kris,
>
> Ok, don't freak out. Here's what happened when I did a clean wipe and fresh
> install of the system just now. Went and grabbed the two patches you
> just issued.
>
> When it went to install the PBI patch, it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
> existing one. Is this right? In any case, I just chose to overwrite.
> Other patch installed
> fine with no prompts. Rebooted.
>
> Now, here's where it gets weird. I autoupdate to OO 3.0.0 and it went
> fine with that
> but after it said it installed it, guess what? Don't freak out, OO
> 2.4.1 is gone but and
> OO 3.0.0 doesn't show up in the Office menu. HOWEVER! Checking in /Programs
> I do see OO 3.0.0. Sooo....I run Dolphin, navigate to
> /Programs/OpenOffice-EN3.0.0/bin
> and run it from there. It does bring up the setup menu and goes
> through it's song and dance.
> After all that I start up Writer, close it, and guess what, now OO
> 3.0.0 appears in the Office
> programs menu. Automagic.
>
> don't shoot the messenger,
> Arthur

Arthur,

I've seen this here as well. Its something to do with the kickoff menu
not refreshing to list new entries right away. Sometimes it takes 10
seconds, other times it may take 3 minutes. Or if you logout / login,
then it shows up right away.

I'll have to check, maybe there is a "qdbus" call we can issue to force
it to refresh the menu entries immediately.

http://www.pcbsd.com