[PC-BSD Testing] 7.01 Stuff

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Oct 22 11:54:05 PDT 2008

Arthur Koziol wrote:
>> Probably not at the moment. It really should be simple, it removes the
>> old PBI version, and just installs the new one. In your case, when the
>> upgrade was done, you did check /Programs, and no OpenOffice directory
>> was there right?
>
> Yes, no Open Office directory after the update. I saw the post made by Drache
> and decided to wipe the disk and re-install from scratch, run OO 2.4.1 once
> before running the OO 3.0.0 update, and it still wiped out 2.4.1 and did not
> put in 3.0.0.
>
>> Since I wasn't able to duplicate it here on my main desktop, and its not
>> happening 100% of the time, I'm thinking its more of a timing issue.
>> I.E, the OO 2.x PBI isn't being fully removed before the 3.x version
>> tries to get installed, and the installer of 3.x fails. I'll check into
>> this momentarily.
>
> Ok. I did manually install the OO 3.0.0 PBI from pbidir.com and it
> did install fine.
>
> thanks Kris,
> Arthur

> !DSPAM:1,48ff696164188653158759!

Ok, I've figured out and fixed this issue. Turns out it wasn't a bug in
the SystemUpdater tool, rather in the "pbidelete" tool, which the System
Updater relied on to remove the old PBI before upgrading. The problem
was that the pbidelete tool wasn't always waiting for
/Programs/OpenOffice* to be removed before exiting. The System Updater
would then try to install the new PBI, and it would silently fail
because /Programs/OpenOffice* or /Programs/Opera, or whichever PBI still
appeared to be installed.

Meanwhile, eventually the remove process would finish, and you would be
left with no PBI installed at all :)

I've just issued an online update for 7.0.1 which corrects this issue,
so please feel free to grab it, and let me know if you run into problems
like this again down the road. Also, I've issued a patch which fixes the
.cshrc prompt with "%" for users properly in 7.0.1.

Also, another user brought up the issue of the SystemUpdater saying that
there was no space to install patches, because the user didn't have room
in the /PCBSD/tmp dir or "/" partition. I'm going to be writing an
enhancement to the updater, so you can specify your own tmpdir, in case
you've partitioned it with little room on "/".

http://www.pcbsd.com