[PC-BSD Testing] Patch 7.0.1 Live!

Rod Clark sc at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Oct 21 01:54:00 PDT 2008

Aaron wrote:
> I updated the PBI's this morning, including Openoffice.  Later I saw the
> system update and did that.  After restart I have lost Openoffice from
> the program list and is gone from installed PBI Software(KDE control module)
> Tried the menu updating tool and it didn't find Openoffice either.
> In the programs folder, it looks like Openoffice has been removed.

Kris,

That happened with the new OpenOffice 3.0 PBI for v1.5.1, too.
So it's not specific to v7.

After I manually downloaded it from pbidir.org, it installed
normally by clicking on it in Konqueror. But something is screwy
with the new OOo 3.0 PBI for v1.5.1. The first file I opened was
a long .txt file. Writer insisted on opening it in Calc, not in
Writer itself, and I could find no way around this.

This PBI update didn't allow keeping my known good installation
of 2.4.0 alongside the buggy new PBI. I uninstalled 3.0.0 and
reinstalled 2.4.0, which read in the .txt file just fine.

In the PBI system, it would be a welcome improvement to always
allow the option of installing the new version without wiping
out the current working version. Later, after the new version
proves to be an improvement, it's easy enough to delete the old
version at leisure with the Add/Remove Programs menu tool.

PBI packagers need to step back a bit from trusting that their
pet app is going to work flawlessly in a new release, and
blithely proceed to destroy the old one. Some of these apps are
barely alpha releases. And the basic idea of PBIs is to isolate
people from inadvertently screwing up a working installation
while upgrading.

-rsc