[PC-BSD Testing] Patch 7.0.1 first experiences

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Oct 20 11:51:16 PDT 2008

Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>> The online update to 7.0.1 is now available via the SystemUpdater tool.
>>> Its a rather hefty patch, since it updates KDE to 4.1.2, and some other
>>> packages as well. Here's a link to the patch details for it:
>>>
>>> http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/79/30/
>>>
>>> New ISO's for i386 / amd64 will be available shortly as well, which fix
>>> the 256MB of RAM install bug, along with the other things mentioned in
>>> the patch details.
>>>
>>> We will be trying to release these point upgrades every month or so,
>>> with the latest packages / KDE updates, along with bug fixes. Please
>>> keep reporting issues you run across so we can get them fixed and rolled
>>> into future updates.
>
> Kris,
>
> Just finished installing the 7.0.1 update and here's a few notes on
> things I've noticed:
>
> 1) Boot time seems a bit faster. Shutdown / Reboot seems a bit faster.

Thats probably because the KDE4 bin / libraries are almost 1/5 the size
now, which helps a lot in loading :)

> 2) Ran the updated to grab OpenOffice 3.0.0 and Opera 9.60_1 as well
> and after installing they do not appear in the Office or Internet
> menus and have taken the original Opera and
> OpenOffice 2.4.1 with them. Nowhere to be found. Looked in Programs
> folder but nothing there either. Borked?

Interesting, I just did an update via the system update tool of OO 2.4.1
-> 3.0.0, and it worked fine. I'll have to continue to investigate this,
maybe the PBI didn't get downloaded properly?

> 3) Not sure if this was mentioned already, but try and right-click on
> the clock and choose Digital Clock Settings. If you check on Show
> Date + Show Day of The Week, and click OK, it does fit the width of
> the clock settings. However, if you also add Show Year, the farthest
> left and farthest right characters of the date info get cut off. It
> seems the width is not wide enough to accommodate the whole thing. At
> least not with the default Denmark font. Changed it to Sans Serif and
> it seemed to fix it. Rebooted and the date info is cut off again.
> Additionally, now the font has reverted to Helvetica. Setting it back
> to Denmark and rebooting does keep Denmark as a font after it reboots.
>
> Arthur

Sounds like a KDE4 bug to me, but their bugdb is down right now, so I
can't check if this has been reported yet :) Once it comes back up we
should check and report it.

They probably need to include a fix to resize it after changing fonts.

http://www.pcbsd.com