[PC-BSD Testing] Update PC-BSD

t-u-t marshc187 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 05:59:01 PDT 2008

On 16 Oct 2008, at 14:34, A.Yerenkow wrote:

> t-u-t пишет:

>>> or you could tweak USB or full-DVD image to enable additional root
>>> console, boot, switch to this console, then unpack PCBSD.tar.lzma &
>>> PCBSD2.tar.lzma to some /newroot
>>> then manually delete old stuff  (/usr/SYSTEM_FILES, /var/db)
>>> and overwrite it all. After that copy kernel and be happy :)
>>>
>>> I did such thing few times, boring and long, but not required
>>> external
>>> backup (or second harddrive).
>>>
>>> You could try too, if you want to.
>> this sounds much better and easier for future ref.
>>
>> about the kernel, do you mean copy the one from the pcbsd install
>> disc? or could you
>> copy the source tree from the disc and just build it and install from
>> that?
>>

> Actually you can either copy from cd, or build same kernel while
> booted
> from this cd, but not while booted from your hard drive (old world,
> old
> kernel, some happens)
>
> I've almost forgot, some system-lib files are made with chflags
> unchangeable (simple example - libc.so) you have to find all those and
> clear flags, or you couldn't overwrite them.
>
> And I recommend kernel to copy, not build - waste of time, at least
> not
> very wise decision to do this while so deep-manually upgrading.

might be a good idea to backup personal data anyway... just in case (?)
with freebsd i have the habit of creating HOME on its own partition,
then if i upgrade or anything,
i create new /partition for /,swap, etc, - fresh install everything
there and just mount the old HOME. - which keeps all settings like,
message filters in thunderbird, bookmarks, everything.

in pcbsd there is no way to do that from the installer, but might
still work with this method manually. and maybe future releases after
7 will become easier as it matures.