[PC-BSD Testing] Update PC-BSD

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Oct 16 05:34:53 PDT 2008

t-u-t пишет:
> On 16 Oct 2008, at 14:05, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>
>> mac пишет:

>>> like A Yerenkow said, that is your only real option. there was a
>>> guide
>>> on pcbsd forums somewhere
>>> by terryP to manually upgrade, but it is a bit complicated and takes
>>> much more time. i couldn't do it myself, but if
>>> you are good at this computer stuff, don't want to start fresh, and
>>> like to learn, give it a go. i don't know terryP,
>>> but seems he knows his  bsd and knows what he is doing.
>>> roughly you need to upgrade 6.3 to freebsd 7, delete all 6.3
>>> packages,
>>> install 7 packages, and turn freebsd
>>> into pcbsd from svn.
>>> otherwise, like the man said , backup and install fresh.
>> or you could tweak USB or full-DVD image to enable additional root
>> console, boot, switch to this console, then unpack PCBSD.tar.lzma &
>> PCBSD2.tar.lzma to some /newroot
>> then manually delete old stuff  (/usr/SYSTEM_FILES, /var/db)
>> and overwrite it all. After that copy kernel and be happy :)
>>
>> I did such thing few times, boring and long, but not required external
>> backup (or second harddrive).
>>
>> You could try too, if you want to.
> this sounds much better and easier for future ref.
>
> about the kernel, do you mean copy the one from the pcbsd install
> disc? or could you
> copy the source tree from the disc and just build it and install from
> that?

Actually you can either copy from cd, or build same kernel while booted
from this cd, but not while booted from your hard drive (old world, old
kernel, some happens)

I've almost forgot, some system-lib files are made with chflags
unchangeable (simple example - libc.so) you have to find all those and
clear flags, or you couldn't overwrite them.

And I recommend kernel to copy, not build - waste of time, at least not
very wise decision to do this while so deep-manually upgrading.