[PC-BSD Testing] Update PC-BSD

A.Yerenkow yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Oct 16 05:05:27 PDT 2008

mac пишет:
> On 16 Oct 2008, at 10:56, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>
>> Eugeniy Khvastunov пишет:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> How I can update PC-BSD 1.5.1 (6.3-RELEASE-p1 i386) to PC-BSD 7?
>> backup all valuable data and install fresh 7
>>
> like A Yerenkow said, that is your only real option. there was a guide
> on pcbsd forums somewhere
> by terryP to manually upgrade, but it is a bit complicated and takes
> much more time. i couldn't do it myself, but if
> you are good at this computer stuff, don't want to start fresh, and
> like to learn, give it a go. i don't know terryP,
> but seems he knows his  bsd and knows what he is doing.
> roughly you need to upgrade 6.3 to freebsd 7, delete all 6.3 packages,
> install 7 packages, and turn freebsd
> into pcbsd from svn.
> otherwise, like the man said , backup and install fresh.

or you could tweak USB or full-DVD image to enable additional root
console, boot, switch to this console, then unpack PCBSD.tar.lzma &
PCBSD2.tar.lzma to some /newroot
then manually delete old stuff  (/usr/SYSTEM_FILES, /var/db)
and overwrite it all. After that copy kernel and be happy :)

I did such thing few times, boring and long, but not required external
backup (or second harddrive).

You could try too, if you want to.