[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD amd64 / radeon

Christian Michels ChristianMichels at web.de
Wed Oct 8 03:31:16 PDT 2008

Hello together,

I've been trying the amd64 version of PC-BSD 7 and there seems to be a problem related to X and radeon. First of all here is my hardware:

CPU: AMD X2 BE-2350
Board: ASrock A780FullDisplayPort
GPU: AMD RV610 (onboard)

1.) The first problem I encountered is when I confirm the restart at the end of the installation. My monitor turns black, a warning (from the monitor itself) appears that the refresh and sync rates are outside the allowed ranges. After that I had to press reset.

2.) When I start the new installed system I come to the point where I can setup my X config. The Installation used 1280x1024 at 85Hz so I choose "Skip". This will copy the /PCBSD/xorg.conf/<...>/xorg.conf.default (I don't remember the exact path and name of the file but it was clear to me that this is the default config used in the installation) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (correct me if I'm wrong). Before confirming the start of the X server with the new settings I had a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
  Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
  InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "DisableVidModeExtension"
End Section

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Monitor0"
  VendorName "AOC"
  ModelName "C993"
  HorizSync 30.0 - 95.0
  VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
  Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Card0"
  Driver "radeon"
  VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
  BoardName "Unknown Board"
  BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

I already loaded the radeon.ko module at boot time. So the radeon driver should work. But after confirming the start of X with this config I get the same warning as in 1) above.

I read something on the list about ATI and a new version of Xorg. The author wrote that the current version of Xorg in PCBSD 7 does not supply ATI radeon cards. I'm not sure if this is true because at least the installation was OK. Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Christian Michels