[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD amd64 test ISO!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Oct 7 07:46:46 PDT 2008

Casey wrote:
> Kris Moore wrote:
>> Hey all!
>>
>> The long awaited PC-BSD 7.x amd64 DVD ISO is now available for testing!
>>
>> ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/beta-isos/amd64/
>>
>> This is a test release only, so please report bugs back to us via the
>> mailing list. The current plan is to release an update to PC-BSD 7.0.1
>> in the next few weeks which will include many bugfixes, and KDE 4.1.2.
>> This amd64 release is still based on KDE 4.1.1 (4.1.2 just came out
>> today). The other new / cool thing this ISO has is working
>> linux-flashplugin9 support which will be in 7.0.1 as well.
>>
>> We've already started approving / uploading a large number of amd64 PBIs
>> for PC-BSD7 on pbidir.com, so you may download any from there and run
>> them as well. If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, you can also
>> grab some of the untested PBI's from our build server and try them as well:
>>
>> http://pbibuild64.pcbsd.org/index.php?sort=date&ver=7
>>

>> Here's some of the changelog of whats been fixed since 7.0 and will be
>> in 7.0.1 when its released:
>>
>>   * Update Nvidia driver to 177.78 (beta) -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2831
>>   * Fixed various bugs causing crashes with System Updater -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2780, http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2790
>>   * Fixed bugs with partitions becoming mis-aligned due to incorrect
>> sizing - http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2809,
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2810
>>   * Added support for NTFS writing directly in KDE4 -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2811
>>   * Fixed sound detection for ALI M5451 PCI Audio Device -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2821
>>   * Fixed out of memory errors when installing on 256MB of RAM -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2825,
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2827, http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2828
>>   * Added new KMenu->System->Display Setup Wizard icon to re-run the X
>> Setup tool - http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2832
>>   * Added support for linux-flashplugin9 to the default install for i386
>> and amd64 - http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2850,
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2851
>>   * Fixed an error about setting up Xorg for QEMU on install -
>> http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/2848
>>

>> Happy testing, and looking forward to feedback!
>>

> Hi Kris,
>
> What is happening for the USB Mouse and Windows not being detected
> coming up in 7.0.1?
>
> I am not able to use PC-BSD at all,  basically you need a second
> computer to have PC-BSD on and the other for Windows.

I'm going to update the freebsd-source to the latest version for 7.0.1,
and hopefully it'll fix your mouse detection problems. If it doesn't,
we'll need to be sure to file a PR here:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

As for windows being detected, what exactly is happening here? Does
PC-BSD install, but then you can't see your NTFS partition? This may be
a HAL issue. If you can send me some more info on this, I can get it to
the HAL maintainer and see about a fix :)

# lshal > lshal.out
# ls /dev/ad* > dev.out

http://www.pcbsd.com