[PC-BSD Testing] Removable media

flat.rose flat.rose at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:56:26 PDT 2008

*upd*
After mounting my media with fat32 filesystem I've got it at */media/XPOD*;
with FAT it was */media/da0s1*.

*trying `*umount -f /media/XPOD*`*
The device folder in Dolphin is shown as empty now, no objects, no info. In
Plasma quick-device-access there's still my XPOD displayed as a mounted
device (can't see the *unmount* button tho). The player is still being
chargin' from the usb and it still shows that the player is connected to my
laptop.

*created folder on the desktop called *xPod*, trying `*mount -t msdosfs
/dev/da0s1 ~/Desktop/xPod*` now*
Eureka! It's alive! I'm in *desktop:/xPod* atm, gonna transfer one song to
it. I'll pick Shirley Mansons' Samson and Delilah :)
It's a 6.6mb mp3 file; transferring files using dolphin. It took about 8
seconds to transfer it to *desktop:/xPod/MUSIC* dir.

*and now*
I'm clicking on dolphin's... oh no wait, there's no `safe remove` button
anymore - it's on desktop so there're a list for places instead of it and
folder's icon. Changing directory to */media/XPOD/* (the link is in the
bottom of my 'places' list in dolphin).

*2 seconds later*
The location didn't change, it has shown me an error:

> An error ocurred while accessing 'XPOD', the system responded:
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount_msdosfs:
> /dev/msdosfs/XPOD: : No such file or directory

(And actually there were a file with exact that name exact in that dir.

*trying to unmount the device manually as Brodey taught me*
*[root at pcbsd ~]# umount -f /dev/da0s1*

After doing this, I've got my device unlinked from a desktop folder but now
I can access to it through dolphin at */media/XPOD-1*
Now I'm unmounting it throught dolphin's `*Unmount 'XPOD'*` thingy.
Player is still receiving power from my laptop and don't want to accept my
actions like a disconnect.

*pluggin-off my usb wire from laptop, then from device*
Device is being rebooted now, I'm gonna check the song.
Same old thing - the track is lagging in the worst way, about til' the first
minute. Then there were a little 'clean part' and then it has stopped
playing so it's at 00:00 now.
Other songs are playing in the good way, they were transferred from windows
machine after I've formatted it with fat32 filesystem.

*Uh oh, Huh...*