[PC-BSD Testing] GRUBing around Multi-OS coexistence?

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Wed Nov 26 23:06:42 PST 2008

At 7:18 AM +0200 11/27/08, A.Yerenkow wrote:
>On 27.11.2008 6:10, Walt Pawley wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu apparently installs some version of GRUB perforce.
>> I was able to make enough sense of
>> the GRUB documentation to boot the first FreeBSD partition
>> successfully (hd0,1,a). Great.
>>
>> At least it was until I attempted to boot the PC-BSD partition
>> (hd0,2,a). GRUB complains that it can't mount the partition
>Did you have partition magik or something similar to create /boot in old
>UFS?
>I think it's common case:
>Or you could try this:
>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/bsd-17/grub-ufs-how-can-i-do-it-310769/

As is typical for me these days, I still don't know why it's
doing what it's doing but I've managed to get it working.

I was able to get the FreeBSD 7 partition to boot with

root (hd0,1,a)
kernel /boot/loader
boot

as is recommended in quite a number of places. But this did not
work for the PC-BSD 7.0.1 partition with (hd0,1,a) replaced by
(hd0,2,a), like I believe it should have. After reading a bit
from the above link, which didn't really tell me anything I
hadn't already stumbled through (or so it seemed), I tried a
desperation alternative. To wit:

rootnoverify (hd0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

I guess if one method doesn't work, the other one may, even on
what is basically the same OS on two different partitions of
the same drive. Curious.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company