[PC-BSD Testing] HP xw8200 workstation boot problem SOLVED

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:48:23 PST 2008

Dear Friends:

I am happy to report that the latest FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2-i386 dated
October -13-2008 boots flawlessly.  Therefore, the problem -- whatever
it was -- is solved by this newer FreeBSD release -- which Kris
Moore's dedication and past history shows is likely to filter its way
into PCBSD very quickly. :)

But just to provide feedback on some of the suggestions made:

(1) The system BIOS was the latest one for the xw8200.

(2) The LSI SCSI has a combo bios/firmware update.   I have not
applied it yet, but that will be one of my weekend projects.  That
having been said, I do not think it was a SCSI controller issue, as I
had tried booting after disconnecting the power plugs and drive cables
to both SCSI drives and to the IDE which did not make any difference
in the boot-freeze problem.

(3) The DVD firmware is current.

(4) Because the FreeBSD Beta2 CD provided success, I have not tried a
USB boot yet.

Thank you to Arthur Koziol, A. Yerenko ("A.Y."), Brody Dover,  and
Kris Moore for all your help, analysis, and suggestions.

Additional eternal gratitude to the "large team of individuals" who
work on FreeBSD and to "the Founder" Kris Moore for his labors and his
releases.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio.