A.Y. yerenkow at uct.ua
Thu Nov 13 06:36:40 PST 2008

Ian Robinson пишет:
> [...]
>> I came back the dmesg had scrolled to the point where it was failing
>> at the video probe (not surprising given the card).  It let me break
>> out to the console prompt, log in as root, and I have rebooted in the
>> VESA mode to see if I can go further.
>>
>> Ian Robinson
>> Salem, Ohio
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
>> Have you checked to see if the system BIOS, SCSI controller firmware,
>> and any CD/DVD drive firmwares are fully up to date?
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> 1.  ANSWER:  Arthur.  Yes & no.  The system BIOS is absolutely fully up to date.
> After I saw your post, I am not certain whether the SCSI firmware or
> the DVD firmware are up to date, but I will find out tomorrow evening.
>
> 2.  UPDATE on UPDATE:  Following up on my UPDATE of yesterday, I moved
> the IDE hard disk back into another computer because I could not get
> the operating system to "set" a new video.  To set manually, I did not
> know the PCI settings for the nVidia card.  I tried option 7 to
> reconfigure XOrg.conf and the option for VESA, both of which produced
> a series of errors about something or other happening too fast and a
> 30 second time out being needed.  So, for an ugly but effective
> workaround I put the hard disk into the host computer, reconfigured to
> it to use a VESA driver, then removed and reinstalled into the xw8200
> workstation.  It booted.  However in each case, there remains a 10 to
> 15 minute delay in starting up past the copyright notice, so its not
> right, but it is working.  (On the bright side, how often do we have
> to boot PCBSD?)
>
> I should now be able to use the newer nVidia drivers without further swapping.
>
> 3.  FREEBSD TEST
>

>> Kris More said:
>>
>> I would say that the best way to test this issue will be to just grab a
>> copy of FreeBSD 7.0 or 7.1beta if you can, and see if the same issue
>> exists there. If it does, then we'll need to get it fixed upstream in
>> the FreeBSD base before PC-BSD will work.
>>
>> If you can confirm that FBSD 7.x fails, go ahead and report the issue
>> via send-pr with as much detail as you can:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html
>>
>> Also, it may be worth your while to post it here:

>> Somebody may also have run into this with similar hardware, and come up
>> with a solution that we're not aware of :)
>>
>> Kris Moore
>> PC-BSD Software
>> http://www.pcbsd.com
>>

> Reply --   OK Kris.  I will do that.  I first want to check whether I
> have the newest firmware for the SCSI controller or DVD.  HP is good
> about that, so I can assess that quickly.  Also, it would be good to
> follow the suggestion of Mr. A Yerenkow who considered that it might
> be a a "boot-from issue" and suggested I try a USB install.  I would
> like to try that if I have a big enough USB drive.

There is a boot-only USB images which is only 256 Mb size, both PC-BSD
and FreeBSD.

BTW, I thought - if you could switch off ALL your SCSI devices
(physically plug out or disable in BIOS if available)
so you will have bare system: processor, video and DVD-drive.
And you could try boot from CD/USB this time, if problem persists, then
it's very strange and 99% not due to SCSI.
of course you'll not be able to install anything, but this may be a good
check :)
Goodl luck!