Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 19:58:16 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM,  <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

>   1. Re: Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200  workstation
>      (Ian Robinson)
>   2. Re: Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200  workstation
>      (Ian Robinson)
>   3. Re: Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200  workstation
>      (Arthur Koziol)
>   4. Re: Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200  workstation (Kris Moore)

> I put an IDE disk in.  It hung after the copyright and release
> information.  I left the computer alone for about 30 minutes and when
> I came back the dmesg had scrolled to the point where it was failing
> at the video probe (not surprising given the card).  It let me break
> out to the console prompt, log in as root, and I have rebooted in the
> VESA mode to see if I can go further.
>
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio
>>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
> Have you checked to see if the system BIOS, SCSI controller firmware,
> and any CD/DVD drive firmwares are fully up to date?
>
> Arthur

1.  ANSWER:  Arthur.  Yes & no.  The system BIOS is absolutely fully up to date.
After I saw your post, I am not certain whether the SCSI firmware or
the DVD firmware are up to date, but I will find out tomorrow evening.

2.  UPDATE on UPDATE:  Following up on my UPDATE of yesterday, I moved
the IDE hard disk back into another computer because I could not get
the operating system to "set" a new video.  To set manually, I did not
know the PCI settings for the nVidia card.  I tried option 7 to
reconfigure XOrg.conf and the option for VESA, both of which produced
a series of errors about something or other happening too fast and a
30 second time out being needed.  So, for an ugly but effective
workaround I put the hard disk into the host computer, reconfigured to
it to use a VESA driver, then removed and reinstalled into the xw8200
workstation.  It booted.  However in each case, there remains a 10 to
15 minute delay in starting up past the copyright notice, so its not
right, but it is working.  (On the bright side, how often do we have
to boot PCBSD?)

I should now be able to use the newer nVidia drivers without further swapping.

3.  FREEBSD TEST

>Kris More said:
>
> I would say that the best way to test this issue will be to just grab a
> copy of FreeBSD 7.0 or 7.1beta if you can, and see if the same issue
> exists there. If it does, then we'll need to get it fixed upstream in
> the FreeBSD base before PC-BSD will work.
>
> If you can confirm that FBSD 7.x fails, go ahead and report the issue
> via send-pr with as much detail as you can:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html
>
> Also, it may be worth your while to post it here:

> Somebody may also have run into this with similar hardware, and come up
> with a solution that we're not aware of :)
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

Reply --   OK Kris.  I will do that.  I first want to check whether I
have the newest firmware for the SCSI controller or DVD.  HP is good
about that, so I can assess that quickly.  Also, it would be good to
follow the suggestion of Mr. A Yerenkow who considered that it might
be a a "boot-from issue" and suggested I try a USB install.  I would
like to try that if I have a big enough USB drive.

Thank you all.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio