[PC-BSD Testing] Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200 workstation

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Nov 12 07:42:54 PST 2008

Arthur Koziol wrote:
> At 07:42 PM 11/11/2008, you wrote:
>> UPDATE . . . .
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Ian Robinson <fitchkendall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear A. Yerenkow
>>>
>>> IDE/ATA Hard Disks none
>>> I have had one IDE/ATA disk in but now out.  There are currently no
>>> IDE/ATA hard disks but there are on-board IDE/ATA Primary and
>>> Secondary Controllers.
>>>
>>> IDE CD/DVD

>> while this one
>>> The twin computer is booting from an IDE disk connected as the master
>>> device on the primary IDE controller.
>>>
>>> With this computer I have tried booting from an IDE disk with PCBSD
>>> 7.0.1 already installed and I have tried booting from the PCBSD 7.0.1
>>> install cd.  (See others below).  In both cases, the system froze
>>> after the copyright and release information (and before the hardware
>>> probe for the Timecounter and the CPU).
>>>
>> UPDATE:
>>
>> I put an IDE disk in.  It hung after the copyright and release
>> information.  I left the computer alone for about 30 minutes and when
>> I came back the dmesg had scrolled to the point where it was failing
>> at the video probe (not surprising given the card).  It let me break
>> out to the console prompt, log in as root, and I have rebooted in the
>> VESA mode to see if I can go further.
>
> Ian,
>
> Have you checked to see if the system BIOS, SCSI controller firmware,
> and any CD/DVD drive firmwares are fully up to date?
>
> Arthur

I would say that the best way to test this issue will be to just grab a
copy of FreeBSD 7.0 or 7.1beta if you can, and see if the same issue
exists there. If it does, then we'll need to get it fixed upstream in
the FreeBSD base before PC-BSD will work.

If you can confirm that FBSD 7.x fails, go ahead and report the issue
via send-pr with as much detail as you can:

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

Also, it may be worth your while to post it here:

Somebody may also have run into this with similar hardware, and come up
with a solution that we're not aware of :)

http://www.pcbsd.com