[PC-BSD Testing] Problem installing 7.01 to HP xw8200 workstation

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:34:24 PST 2008

Dear A. Yerenkow

Thank you for your reply.  Here are the answers to your questions.

> Could you please tell us, every SCSI and SATA and ATA (HDD, CD-ROMs, etc)

SCSI -- There are 4 SCSI devices:

(1)  LSI Logic 53C1030 Ultra320 SCSI Controller #1
(2)  LSI Logic 53C1030 Ultra320 SCSI Controller #2
(2)  73Gb SCSI hard disk (ModusLnk, MXJ3073SC680600T) as da0
(3)  73Gb SCSI hard disk (ModusLnk, MXJ3073SC680600T) as da1

SATA -- none

There are no SATA hard disks but the motherboard has an on-Board SATA
Controller which is "off" in the BIOS.

IDE/ATA Hard Disks none

I have had one IDE/ATA disk in but now out.  There are currently no
IDE/ATA hard disks but there are on-board IDE/ATA Primary and
Secondary Controllers.

IDE CD/DVD

There is one IDE DVD/CD-RW combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW) as the master
device on the secondary IDE controller.

The BIOS Boot Order settings are (1) CD, (2) USB, (3) Hard Drive (C:)

The BIOS Controller Order settings are (1) IDE, (2) SCSI 0, (3) SCSI 1, (4) SATA

> I think it's boot-from issue, other PC are booting from HDD, while this one
> from CD. or DVD?

The twin computer is booting from an IDE disk connected as the master
device on the primary IDE controller.

With this computer I have tried booting from an IDE disk with PCBSD
7.0.1 already installed and I have tried booting from the PCBSD 7.0.1
install cd.  (See others below).  In both cases, the system froze
after the copyright and release information (and before the hardware
probe for the Timecounter and the CPU).

> BTW, what you use for boot, CD/DVD?

I have tried booting with the following CDs or DVD's

PCBSD 7.0.1 install CD (failed)
PCBSD 7.0.1 install DVD (failed)
BSDAnywhere Live CD (failed)
FreeBSD 6.1 (failed)

NetBSD Live (success)
XP Install Disk (success)
Bart's PE - Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows (Live XP) (success)

> And Identical PC, you are booting from SCSI or SATA drive?

On the identical PC I am booting from an IDE drive.

> Could you download USB-bootonly PC-BSD image and confirm same problem while
> booting from USB?

I will try that on Friday night.

> Also, did you check if FreeBSD boots properly here?
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/
> you could get there bootonly iso to check is that so.

I have tried with FreeBSD 6.1 CD without success.  I'm looking for my
FreeBSD 7.0 disks and if I cannot find them I will burn the iso again.

Thank you again for the attention.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio