[PC-BSD Testing] Better nVidia Driver for PCBSD 7 AMD64?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Nov 5 11:23:42 PST 2008

Arthur Koziol wrote:
>> Yvan Martin wrote:
>>> I would welcome suggestions about my shutdown/restart dilemma: whenever
>>> I go to the menu and choose "Leave" and whether I choose to shutdown or
>>> restart I seem to get the same behaviour: the current session ends, but
>>> Xserver seems to hang and I am left with a white pointer on a black
>>> background. on rare occasions after a pause, the shutdown sequence will
>>> continue, but most of the times I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to
>>> terminate the X-windows session and choose shutdown or restart from the
>>> new login screen.
>> Just a heads up! I've seen this error on my systems here as well, and it
>> had something to with the system updater causing a knotify4 session to
>> hang at shutdown. I've issues an online update which fixes this issue on
>> our systems here. Can you update and confirm that this problem goes away?
>>
>> You'll need to apply the patch, and then restart. The patch will take
>> effect after you reboot, so you may still need to his ctrl-alt-backspace
>> one more time, to shutdown after applying it.
>
> I've got this symptom too on a non-Nvidia system and it's not always
> 100% repeatable.
> Fully patched it doesn't help either. I took sneak peek over at the
> embargoed KDE 4.1.3
> page and didn't see any bugfix or mention of knotify on there so
> maybe it's not yet squashed?
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog4_1_2to4_1_3.php
>
> Arthur

So, when you applied the patch, rebooted, and then tried to reboot
again, it still hung at the blank screen? That's a bummer, on my four
systems here, it did fix it, one of them was an amd64 with intel, and
the others are using various nvidia cards. I am going to keep my eyes
open though, and if I find another solution / patch which makes this
problem go away 100% of the time, I will issue an update post-haste :)

http://www.pcbsd.com