[PC-BSD Testing] Better nVidia Driver for PCBSD 7 AMD64?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Wed Nov 5 11:19:01 PST 2008

>Yvan Martin wrote:
> > I would welcome suggestions about my shutdown/restart dilemma: whenever
> > I go to the menu and choose "Leave" and whether I choose to shutdown or
> > restart I seem to get the same behaviour: the current session ends, but
> > Xserver seems to hang and I am left with a white pointer on a black
> > background. on rare occasions after a pause, the shutdown sequence will
> > continue, but most of the times I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to
> > terminate the X-windows session and choose shutdown or restart from the
> > new login screen.
>
>Just a heads up! I've seen this error on my systems here as well, and it
>had something to with the system updater causing a knotify4 session to
>hang at shutdown. I've issues an online update which fixes this issue on
>our systems here. Can you update and confirm that this problem goes away?
>
>You'll need to apply the patch, and then restart. The patch will take
>effect after you reboot, so you may still need to his ctrl-alt-backspace
>one more time, to shutdown after applying it.

I've got this symptom too on a non-Nvidia system and it's not always
100% repeatable.
Fully patched it doesn't help either. I took sneak peek over at the
embargoed KDE 4.1.3
page and didn't see any bugfix or mention of knotify on there so
maybe it's not yet squashed?

http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog4_1_2to4_1_3.php

Arthur