[PC-BSD Testing] PBI's and re0

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon May 26 08:52:08 PDT 2008

Tim is correct here. Most PBIs will NOT work on the new Alpha-7 ISO,
since the jump from FreeBSD 6.x to FreeBSD 7 breaks binary
compatibility. I've included the compat6x port, but that isn't
foolproof, and as you are seeing, not all PBIs run properly on PCBSD7.
Among other things, this is due in part to some changes to threading on
7, which is incompatible with 6.x binaries.

That being said, the purpose of this alpha ISO is to test the installer,
and desktop itself at the moment. We have a couple of new build servers
in the works right now, and when they come online, we will "re-generate"
the PBI database with native versions for PC-BSD7. At that point they
should all work just fine. (Many of them will work better, since the new
threading works much nicer, and fixes a lot of wine crashes as well)