[PC-BSD Testing] PBI's and re0

Gary B. Corell wa5qjh at xmission.com
Sun May 25 14:46:15 PDT 2008

Yall:
 I thought my problem with PBIs  was just my own problem but apparently not.
I have installed A05092008 and had problems with several of them most notably
firefox and thunderbird including the Linux one with the wine support. Like
Bill Leeper I got  a good many errors on most of the ones I tried and they
just wouldnt install.
 A couple of them however did install but give me funny responses which,
unfortunatly I havent captured yet to display here, but they do work. the
ones that have succeeded are Skype 2.0 and Putty 0.6. Opera 9 went in ok but
at first time to try after a boot up, it reported an error but it does work
ok now. so the list of successes is now 1. Opera, 2. putty, 3. Skype 2.0, &
4. PDFedit.
 One last thing on this subject, the add/remove programs did succeed in
removing the flakey PBIs with no problem.
  From ports collection I have installed TeamSpeak2 client and several of the
KDE packages not otherwise installed at beginning. Thunderbird, seamonkey,
and firefox would not build from ports.

 Before installing that Alpha I tried 05132008 but did not try the PBIs
because it would not start the re0 ethernet interface even after rebooting to
PCBSD 1.5 and even XP ( please dont hold that against me:). I also tried to
use sysinstall to start it and had rebooted several times before giving up on
it. What I forgot to do was to try to kldload the if_re0.ko module.

 Gary B. Corell