[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 7.0 alpha -- Laptop Install Read Failure

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat May 10 06:33:29 PDT 2008

I am still having trouble installing PCBSD 7.0 alpha on my laptop (Acer
Travelmate 4001, w/ P4 1.5GH, 2GB RAM, Intel "Centrino" package with onboard
Intel video chip (Intel 82855GME).

Installs of PCBSD 1.5.1 and 1.5.1 PBI upgrade had failed on this laptop.
The install of PCBSD 7.0 alpha failed after the install reached "starting
default moused" and produced the message:

*** PCBSD i386 on ttyv0 ***
g_vfs_done( ):md3.uzip[READ(offset=143753216, length=16384)] error=5
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:/usr/lib/libbsm.so2:read error: Input/output error
getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0 sleeping 30 seconds

Kris identified the cause as a read error of the unpacked files extracted
from the PCBSD.tar.lzma file.

Kris asked whether I had a good burn and could I test the disk to see if
(using the same disk) I could boot to the installer on any other computer.
The md5 checksum was a precise match.  The disk could be used to install on
a desktop.  Because I had burned the CD on another computer and then
attempted the install on the laptop, I suggested I would burn the CD on the
laptop.

I burned the CD using PCBSD 1.5 & K3B.  I test-confirmed the burn against
the iso file.  I rebooted with the CD in the CD tray.  The CD booted
normally and began the process of creating the ram disk, mounting it,
unzipping and copying the file into memory.  This time ... I got a little
further ... because I was able to reach the startx screen.  However, once
again, the computer rebooted itself.

It is hard to catch the messages that are being reported.  I can jump to the
console window behind startx, but the messages scroll by so fast I cannot
read them.  I've invoked scroll lock to freeze the messages, but the
computer reboots before I can read them.  The few fragments I can read
suggest the same read error diagnosed by Kris:

g_vfs_done() . . . ???. . . . error = 5
I/O read error
      . . .
write failed  exiting on Signal 11
     . . .
Segmentation fault
Shutdown PID [1093]

After that, the computer reboots and that cycle will repeat endlessly.

This CD will boot and install on my desktops.

I am wondering if the laptop CD hardware is hyper sensitive.  [ cd0:
<MATSHITA UJDA760 DVD/CDRW 1.00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device, 33.000MB/s
transfers].  Unfortunately, my computer BIOS does not have a "boot from USB"
choice in the boot order section, so I cannot boot from a USB CD or a USB
flash drive that I could attach.

I am wondering how to track and save the boot messages during installation.
This computer does not have a serial port to link to a second computer.  It
does have USB ports.  Can USB work with a USB crossover cable to capture the
output?

What I am also wondering is with my slices and boot loader set up via PCBSD
1.5 that I could just delete the files to empty the slice and copy an
existing PCBSD 7.0 install from an existing computer to get it working.

Ian Robinson