[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 7 Installation

Bill Leeper protagonist at charter.net
Tue May 6 11:31:46 PDT 2008

I have an onboard NIC that works just fine. This is a card I picked
up for use with SkyOS, which i found out after the fact would not
work with the D model either, and it has failed detection in BSD and
Linux. I was very surprised when the Open Solaris Live CD detected
the card but said there was no driver installed for it. Also, if it
would be helpful if I posted the hardware portion of dmesg I would be
happy to do so.

All in all Alpha7 would be called Beta7 by just about anybody else.
That is one of the things I really like about PC-BSD, you people do a
heck of a good job with your coding.   :-)

On May 6, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Kris Moore wrote:

> I had to re-compile all the included nvidia drivers for FreeBSD 7.
> I'll
> be uploading a new alpha ISO later this week with these fixes in it.
>
> As for your NIC, does it work in BSD at all?
>
> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com
>

> Bill Leeper wrote:
>> OK, so far the only problem I have had with the hardware side of the
>> installation is with my video card. For some reason it does not
>> like my
>> nVidia 8500GT with 512 MB of RAM. None of the nVidia drivers
>> worked and
>> neither did the plain nv driver. I am running it in vesa mode. I
>> might
>> add that the card works perfectly with previous versions.
>>
>> I do have a second NIC card in the system which is not detected at
>> all.
>> It is an old Realtek 8139/D that I was trying to use in SkyOS. It
>> doesn't work there either.   :-)
>>
>> Other than that everything else I have tried works.

Computers can be fun again
              Format C:\
    Alternatives are out there