[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD 7 Installation

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue May 6 09:43:40 PDT 2008

Ian Robinson wrote:
> 1.  Quote:  "We will be changing our versioning scheme for this next release
> to correspond with FreeBSD,"
>
> -- That is a great idea.
>
> 2.  Quote:  "what I'm most interesting in is feedback as to hardware
> support, or installation
> problems."
>
> -- I tested the installation of PCBSD 7 Alpha on a basically standard
> computer, an HP Vectra.  This is an "older" computer with the following
> hardware:
>
> CPU: Intel Pentium III (863.79-MHz 686-class CPU)
> real memory  = 536805376 (511 MB)
> avail memory = 511389696 (487 MB)
> agp0: <Intel 82815 (i815 GMCH) host to PCI bridge> on hostb0
> vgapci0: <VGA-compatible display> mem
> 0xf4000000-0xf5ffffff,0xec000000-0xec003fff,0xec800000-0xecffffff irq 10 at
> device 0.0 on pci2
> xl0: <3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0x2000-0x207f mem
> 0xed000000-0xed00007f irq 5 at device 4.0 on pci1
> atapci0: <Intel ICH UDMA66 controller> port
> 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0x1800-0x180f at device 31.1 on pci0
> uhci0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> port 0x1820-0x183f irq 11 at
> device 31.2 on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> on uhci0
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> flags 0x1000 irq 12 on atkbdc0
> ad0: 19470MB <WDC AC420400D J58OA30K> at ata0-master UDMA33
> acd0: CDROM <HITACHI CDR-8435/0010> at ata1-master PIO4
> pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4299 AC97 Codec>
> drm0: <Matrox G400/G450 (AGP)> on vgapci0
> info: [drm] AGP at 0xf0000000 64MB
>
> -----------------Messages Output----------------------
> May  3 12:34:20 pcbsd root: /etc/rc.d/sysctl: WARNING: sysctl
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans does not exist.

Fixed!

> I installed PCBSD 7.0 in two ways.  First, an "upgrade" to a 1.5.0 base.
> Second, a "fresh install"
>
> "THE UPGRADE"
> * The "upgrade" went fine using the default install routine.  It took 20
> minutes.
> * Although I selected the install of the programs on "Disk 2", I was able to
> cancel out without a problem when prompted.
> * X-config correctly detected my Matrox G450 card, and I was able to
> configure to a wide range of settings.  I did not go past 1920x1200.
Is this normal with your card being able to only go to that res?

> * The PCBSD "Edison" KDE splash screen displayed using the "upgrade" method.

This is by design, we don't tweak your KDE user settings to change
splashes and themes during an upgrade, since often a  user may customize
their desktop, and we don't want to overwrite any custom setup :)

> * All "old" desktop icons from the 1.5 installation were present.  However,
> the "older" installs of Opera, Fir
> * System Administration reported itself as PCBSD 7.0 Alpha, but the Kernel
> Tab reports itself as FBSD 6.3 - PCBSD 1.5.  uname -a says it is FBSD
> 7.0-RELEASE

Fixed!

> * In the Tasks tab, I was able to find the fasted CSup server, but I could
> not retrieve source code.

Tim has fixed this now I believe.

> * In the Tasks tab, I was able to retrieve ports.
> * The new desktop menus are interesting, but the dark red on gray them is
> too hard to read.

Lightened up the grey to make it easier to read.

> "THE FRESH INSTALL"
> * The "fresh install" went fine using the default install routine.  It took
> 20 minutes.
> * X-config correctly detected my Matrox G450 card.
> * The new PCBSD KDE splash screen displayed.
> * System Administration reported itself as PCBSD 7.0 Alpha, but the Kernel
> Tab still reports itself as FBSD 6.3 - PCBSD 1.5
> * In the Tasks tab, I was able to find the fasted CSup server, and I could
> retrieve source code.
> * In the Tasks tab, I was able to retrieve ports.
> * Menu selections functioned correctly.  There was a little "stutter" or
> "shaking" or "strobe effect" in the menu display.
> * I installed Opera-Devel, Firefox-Devel, and Gwenview from  ports without
> any problems.
> * I played extensively with the new menu scheme and configuration.  I had no
> problems except the "stutter".  The stutter does not exist with the classic
> style menu.

We are working with the KBFX guys to make it a bit more smooth and
stable for our purposes, we should have these things addressed before a
real release :)

> IMPRESSION:  This is a great Alpha release!  With the Alpha is this good,
> this will turn out to be the best PCBSD yet.  Relative speed of most things
> seems faster.

Glad to hear it! It seems much faster here as well :)

http://www.pcbsd.com