Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 10:28:44 PST 2008

THIS MESSAGE IS AN UPDATE TO THIS PREVIOUS MESSAGE:

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:14:41 -0500
> > From: "Ian Robinson" <fitchkendall at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 1.5rc1 -- Comments
> > To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> >
> > Installed on Acer Travelmate 4001 (P4-M w/ 1.5GHz, 2Gb Ram, Intel on-board
> > video- 82855 )
> >
> > INSTALLER:

> > (1) The Installer had a problem with Disk 2. Although I selected several
> > packages, source code, and ports to install, I was never prompted to
> > Insert Disk #2.

A reinstall did not see this problem.  I wonder if I failed to move
the selection down to the lower window or hit the wrong key.

> > (2) After being prompted to Finish & Reboot, the computer did not reboot.
> > The screen changed to black and appeared to be frozen. After power down,
> > PCBSD started up normally and went into the X configuration routine.

Same as before.  Tried to go to console, but could not do that either.
 Power down and reboot required.  I think this is likely limited to
laptop computers.

> > (3) Although the X-configuration selected the correct driver (intel) and
> > gave a nice list of available resolutions, the 1280x1024 I selected and
> > confirmed was not what came up.

Tried the same thing but this time the screen went black after I
clicked that I wanted to keep the selection.  I had to power down and
reboot, and I left it on the standard 1024x768.

> > WIRELESS NETWORKING:
> >

> > Cons:
> > (1) Did not auto-configure wireless card.
> > (2) Network Configuration Wizard would not activate the "Configuration"
> > Button to let me select or go into the configuration window. I was in
> > the administrator mode as shown by the red line border.

Same as before for wireless.  The "Configure Button" lights up when
the network card is selected.  You can configure for the Ethernet NIC
(ie., the non-wireless) but you cannot configure for the wireless.

I tested again after using terminal and ifconfig, but the Configure
button was still not working for wireless.

> > (3) When I used a terminal & the ifconfig command to configure the iwi,
> > the Network Configuration Wizard then crashed and the KDE Crash Handler
> > appeared. The good news is that the crash did not damage the ifconfig
> > results, and the iwi driver is working great.

The Network Configuration Wizard did not crash this time.

> > SYSTEM:

> > Cons:
> > (1) Could not Fetch System Source (CSup) but was able to run "find fastest
> > server" widget without problem.
> > (2) Could not Fetch Ports -- terminated after 22 saying that the server
> > was down or I had a connection problem.

I could fetch ports today.  Ports server may not have been accessible
at the time I tried.

> > PROGRAMS:
> >

> > Cons:
> > (1) K3B complained that its system probe failed to find the cdrtools
> > package. Perhaps if ports were installed, this error would not have
> > occurred.

Same problem as before.  Ports are installed so that is not the difference.