[PC-BSD Testing] 1.5 - partitions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Mar 3 09:59:09 PST 2008

Gerard,

That's a potential problem. Can you try booting a 1.4 install CD to
confirm if it sees the sizes wrong also? That way I can figure out if
its a regression with 1.5 or not.

For the record, I'm not seeing that here on my system, I have a test box
with two drives, a 40GB and 30GB and it identifies them properly.

http://www.pcbsd.com

Gerard van Essen wrote:
> [...]
>>> Disk #2.
>>> (2) After being prompted to Finish & Reboot, the computer did not
>>> reboot.
>>> The screen changed to black and appeared to be frozen.  After power
>>> down,
>>> PCBSD started up normally and went into the X configuration routine.
>>> (3)  Although the X-configuration selected the correct driver (intel)
>>> and
>>> gave a nice list of available resolutions, the 1280x1024 I selected and
>>> confirmed was not what came up.  The display turned  out to be the
>>> common
>>> 1024x768.
>>>
>>> WIRELESS NETWORKING:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>> (1) Correctly detected the built-in Intel Wireless card and appropriate
>>> driver (iwi)
>>> (2) The Network Configuration Wizard opened to a default size large
>>> enough
>>> to see the Administrator button.
>>> (3)
>>>
>>> Cons:
>>> (1)  Did not auto-configure  wireless card.
>>> (2)  Network Configuration Wizard would not activate the "Configuration"
>>> Button to let me select or go into the  configuration window.  I was in
>>> the
>>> administrator mode as shown by the red line border.
>>> (3)  When I used a terminal & the ifconfig command to configure the iwi,
>>> the
>>> Network Configuration Wizard then crashed and the KDE Crash Handler
>>> appeared.  The good news is that the crash did not damage the ifconfig
>>> results, and the iwi driver is working great.
>>>
>>> SYSTEM:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>> (1) Boots faster.  Runs faster.  (Totally subjective of course.)
>>> (2) Liked the green arrow icon showing my system was up-to-date
>>> (3) System Fonts look very nice.
>>>
>>> Cons:
>>> (1) Could not Fetch System Source (CSup) but was able to run "find
>>> fastest
>>> server" widget without problem.
>>> (2) Could not Fetch Ports -- terminated after 22% saying that the server
>>> was
>>> down or I had a connection problem.
>>>

>>> PROGRAMS:
>>>
>>> Pros:
>>> (1)  Programs appear to be loading faster.  System seems faster than
>>> 1.4.x.x
>>> (2)  See comment on unable to get prompt for Disk #2 in the
>>> "Installation"
>>> section above.
>>>
>>> Cons:
>>> (1) K3B complained that its system probe failed to find the cdrtools
>>> package.  Perhaps if ports were installed, this error would not have
>>> occurred.
>>> (2) KFontView crashed.
>>> (3) Manage Cups Printing did not come up.
>>>

>>> OTHER COMMENTS:
>>>
>>> Have not tried any PBI's
>>>
>>> Thanks for the new release.  I was impressed that you put FreeBSD 6.3 on
>>> 1.4.1.2 release without any fanfare.  Producing the 1.5 release so soon