Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 08:48:46 PST 2008

Yesterday I installed PCBSD 1.5 on an Acer Travelmate laptop and reported
some installation problems.  Today, the install went much better on a more
standard desktop computer:

HP Vectra VL400 P3 @ 800 MHz, 512 Gb Ram, Matrox G200 Video, xl0: 3Com
3c905C-TX NIC,

As a result of the outcome here, I am going to reinstall on the laptop to
see if the same problems occur or if install does better.

Here are some comments:

INSTALLATION:

Flawless.  Prompted for and accepted second disk.

VIDEO:

Flawless X configuration.  Let me set and retain 1600x1200 without problem.

NETWORKING:  Flawless DSL auto-detection, set-up, and connection to router.

FONT VIEWER -- Did not crash.

K3B -- Loaded without errors.

SOUND:  Problem report:

pcm0: <Intel ICH (82801AA)> port 0x1200-0x12ff,0x1300-0x133f irq 9 at device
31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4299 AC97 Codec>
ink_elf_lookup_symbol: missing symbol hash table
last message repeated 8 times

UPDATE MANAGER:  Problem report.

Update manager advised of PBI update to take Firefox to version 2.0.0.13.
Effective use of shape and colors on the taskbar system status. Nice, easy
to use window display.  Nice progress monitoring.

Firefox PBI problem.  Update Manager reported that FF had downloaded ok.
Firefox PBI did not appear to update as Firefox still reported itself as
2.0.0.12 and the Update Manager icon remained in its blue triangle shape and
keeps reporting that there is a PBI update to take Firefox to 2.0.0.13.  I
did a search of the hard disk to see if any PBI had downloaded.  I found
nothing.  I looked on pbidir.com to see if there was a Firefox 2.0.0.13, but
there was not.  The PBI build server reported the last build of FF was on
2/28/08, version 2.0.0.12.

Messages output contained this line:

TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/home/IR ; USER=root ;
COMMAND=/PCBSD/SystemUpdater/bin/SystemUpdater

Question -- Do you have to be root to update programs?  Nothing prompted for
root password, but maybe the update never got that far as the PBI never ran.

MANAGE PRINTING -- Problem report:  Did nothing whatsoever.