[PC-BSD Testing] New Alpha ISO 05242008 Mountroot problem

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Jun 5 06:51:38 PDT 2008

Peter Brewster wrote:
> Hi Kris, or whoever,
>
> This could be a BTX 1.01 versus BTX 1.02 matter.  Well out of my league.
>
> My intent was to install Alpha 05242008 on a test bed.
>
> Repeatable solid failure using the Alpha 05242008 ISO image loading from cd.  The test bed mobo is a recent Intel with an Intel dual CPU and 2GB.  System has been running both installed PC-BSD 1.5.1 (from system ATA hard disk) and installed Xubuntu 8.04 (from USB flash drive) without any problems.
>
> I have confirmed the same Alpha 05242008 cd loads correctly on another older PC - an HP Presario with Intel Celeron.  Did not continue to install (not a test bed) but could have.  I also confirmed the ISO image used against a fresh ftp copy.
>
> On the failing system I can see "BTX version 1.02" and then some screens of text fly by.  What I can visually catch looks ordinary enough.  Nothing unexpected seen but I'm not sure exactly what to look for.  A few lines just before the problem:

> ad0:  20GB maxtor at ata0-master UDMA-100
> acd0:  CDROM <LTN323/DQ15> at ata0-slave PIO4
>  . . .  usual SCSI illegal request stuff . .
> cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> cd0:  <LITEON . . . . >
> cd0:  16.0 MB/s transfer
> cd0:  cd present [355743 x 2048 byte records]
>
> Manual root filesystem spec
>    . . . . .
>    . . . . .
> Mountroot> {solid cursor block displays}

> Using a "?" entry displays 12 devices from ad0s1f to fd0.  The only file system to use that I know is ufs.
>
> Using "ufs:cd0" entry grinds on the cd for a second or so, displays "Trying to mount root from ufs:cd0" and returns to the Mountroot> prompt.  All the suggested devices have a similar response.  None succeed.
>
> I specifically confirmed just now that my FreeBSD 6.3 cd (as downloaded on 2-26-08) loads and installs correctly on the test bed.  (As of course it did a couple of months ago.)   As it loads the display indicates the BTX version is 1.01.
>
> Peter Brewster
>
> !DSPAM:1,4847e95e20032076744907!

Peter,

Can you grab a copy of the FreeBSD 7.0 or 7-Stable CD's and see if this
problem exists there as well? The Alpha is based on 7-Stable, and its
possible that something has been broken with the update to BTX that they
aren't aware of. If you can confirm the failure there, we can send it
over to the BTX maintainer and get it fixed for you.

http://www.pcbsd.com